RECIPE for Junket – a dessert often given to invalids or children (clotted cream is a Cornish or Devon speciality cream – thick with a golden crust)
2 pints milk
1 tablespoon caster/superfine sugar
2 teaspoons rennet (or follow instructions on bottle for amount to be used)
1/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon or nutmeg
1 tablespoon brandy or rum (optional)
clotted cream (optional)
– Warm the milk until it feels neither cold not warm (blood temp)
– Put it into a large serving dish and stir in the rennet and sugar.
– Add the brandy or rum. (if used)
– Stir once or twice and leave in the large bowl or or pour into smaller dishes – leave in a warm room to set.
– When set, cover with clotted cream (if used) and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg.