THE ADAPTABLE CAKE RECIPE
**measure how many pints of water your cake tin holds(to about 1/2 inch from top)
Then follow this recipe PER PINT !
- 5 oz currants
- 2 oz sultanas
- 2 oz raisins
- 1 ½ oz glace cherries
- 1 oz mixed peel (or if you don’t like this add same chopped ‘dried’ ready to eat apricots)
- 3 ½ oz plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 oz butter (or marg)
- 3 oz soft dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ eggs
- wine – any – to soak the fruit ( acouple of glasses willl be enough for a medium sized cake)
- Wash the dried fruit in HOT water to remove the oil. Drain very well, place in large bowl and slosh over the wine (couple of glasses will usually do the lot) and leave to stand, stir occasionally, leave overnight. The fruit will absorb most of the wine
- Double line the tin with two layers of greaseproof paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugar, add beaten eggs, sieved flour, mixed spice and beat well
- Chop cherries and toss in some of the flour (with mixed peel – if using)
- Drain soaked fruit (if required) then stir in All fruit, mixing well
- Spoon into lined tin, spread to make sides slightly higher than centre.
- Bake at 150 C or Fan oven 140 c
For 3 – 3 ½ hours until a skewer comes out without uncooked cake mix on.
12 inch square = 8 ½ pints approx *
10 ½ inch square = 7 pints *
7 inch square = 3 pints *
***Check with your own tins – take the measurement to about ½ inch down from the top of the tin – not right to the top.